Friday, July 4, 2014

The Fourth of July: Superior American Terminology

In honor of the Fourth of July, the day that the United States celebrates its independence from Britain, we've decided to briefly discuss some of our favorite American English terms that we believe are better than their British English counterparts.

Bangs - While we do agree that fringe is an apt name for those tiny bits of hair that hang over your forehead, it's just so much more fun to call them bangs. Besides, fringe belongs on things like scarves and fancy pillows, not your head.

Eggplant and Zucchini - While these are two of my least favorite foods, I do prefer their American names to their British counterparts, aubergine and courgette respectively. Supposedly the British hate the French, yet they continue to use their terms for foods...

Definitely a ladybug, not a ladybird.
Gasoline - Sure, gas is derived from petroleum, but calling it petrol just seems too formal.

Ladybug - Why on earth do the British call these small spotted beetles ladybirds? Apparently they're technically not bugs, but they're certainly closer to what everyone thinks a bug is than they are to being birds!

Pacifier - This one makes much more sense in American English, as the pacifier literally pacifies the baby and gets it to stop crying. Calling this magical device a dummy seems oddly insulting.

Period - We're talking about the final dot at the end of sentences. It's much easier to call it a period than a full stop, don't you think?

Popsicle - Yes, in this case Americans have just made the Popsicle brand name into a generic trademark, but we find the word popsicle to be a much more creative term for these summer treats than the simplistic British ice lolly

Rutabaga - Undoubtedly one of the most fun-sounding names for a food that exists in English. The fact that Brits call them swedes is just weird, especially as it often leads to confusion as to whether Swedish people are being consumed with British dinners.

Trunk - We don't really understand why the back storage area of a car would be called the boot. Surely trunk makes more sense...

If you're interested in even more information on how the U.S. is linguistically independent from Britain, then check out our post from last year for more on everything from American spellings to verbs.

Do you have any Americanisms that you prefer to their British equivalents, if so, tell us about them in the comments below.